Tuesday, October 2, 2012

4 Chapathis for my friend, ma!

"Anand! its already 11pm da.. "
"yes ma.. he is just coming.. just 2-3 minutes.. he is near B'lore Central.. just 2mins"

Rightly so, in about 2 minutes, the bell rang. Mom opened the door, and she seemed to complain to herself mentally that her eyes are deceiving her. She tried to rub her eyes and re-focus her sight on to the 'visitor'!

And then.. a beautiful smile with a huge shock.. probably like a rainbow during the rains! Yes, a very rare expression on her face!

She asked me " so you are the 'visitor' you were talking about ? " while gently patting me a couple of times with love!

"Shocked as well as surprised that you came", she told me.

Exactly 24 hours earlier to this, I was dillydallying the decision whether to go home or not!
My left "mind" questioning me  whether spending a solid 13k for travel for just about 5 days at home was worth, and simultaneously my RIGHT "mind" telling me to do just the RIGHT thing! Ya, it suddenly put a huge list of advantages that this journey would gift me with! Right from getting my speakers and camera, to eating home food, to car driving, and getting some food stuffed back to hostel : everything suddenly seemed to suggest me that i have no alternate but to travel!

With an act of "detachment" i asked my left mind to be 'LEFT back'!

Thus, it took a final 2-3AM in the morning for me to book tickets!

Now my left "mind" wanted to become a bit 'right' so that it does not get 'left' out! It suggested me to carry out a small prank on my mom!

"How about throwing a surprise to her ?" - asked my left mind.
"Good idea Mr. Left Mind!", said the right mind, rather sarcastically, and which continued " But! Dont you see there's a big flaw in your foolish idea!?? "
" Uh ?"
"We can't control our hunger and we will be reaching at 11PM+, and you want amma to cook something for you then, when she should actually be hitting the bed!?? "

I interceded the 'divided minds' and assured that i would take care, thanking them for their inputs!
Next day morning, mom as usual calls up, and after getting to know that i have holidays, said, " had you known you had some 4-5 days of leave earlier, you could have booked your tickets to home.. anyway, no problems..".

The trio(the left mind, the right mind, and i) chuckled with pride in the super-surprise that was to be delivered to my mom!

"ya mom.. true that.. anyway.. "

And then my right mind poked me,  " dude, what about food ?? tell her to cook something!"
That's when i told her that " Ma, my friend is coming to our home.. please cook a bit extra for that guy, of whatever you cook!"

My mom told " ok i am gonna make chapathis for the night, as its 'Sravanam' day".
"arrghh! chapathis :/ " - retorted my right mind silently.

"Ya sure ma.. anything would do.. make 4 Chapathis for my friend, ma!"

My mom suddenly seemed to start do some CBI work and started asking "my friend's" name and phone number. I convinced her that I would give it to her in the night and told her that "he would reach only by 11PM".

Thus ended the drama's prerequisite!

I ensured not to tell anyone of my visit to make it entirely a big surprise! The following days, my relatives called me up congratulating me of my plans to trounce my mom's boredom of the previous days, when virtually no one was at home with her!

Surely, she would be charged on for a few more days with this surprise package! :)

3 comments: