Sunday, March 29, 2009

white Devaru- my Superrrr-Computer!!

A post may carry opinions or ideas which may be entirely objectionable to certain readers. However, it should not be objectionable to the author himself!! Yes.. my previous post( or rather my first), 'the stone God' was such a masterpiece!!
It made me wonder as to why , a person like me, who no doubt, definitely wants to shine well academically, but hates to put in efforts for the same, made it feel like a very big tremendous conscious effort was put to achieve a transient thing like grades!! Infact the major theme sincerely meant to be told, was that it was the STONE GOD which has to take credits for all the good/bad I was made to do by HIM!!

A similarly misunderstood concept is the "age" of my computer, named DEVARU(a kannada word)!!
Devaru has a differential age as such. His monitor is about 10 years old, I accept. However, I intend to make it clear that his CPU is not more than 2-3 years old. Seriously!!
Devaru stepped into VNIT on 12th Aug 2006. Special thanks to Kaustubh Gudi for helping me bring it from Wadi(Vijayanand travels package). [Also a special point to mention that on this day, our beautiful Computer Science dept. was inaugurated. Thanks to Ruturaj for the info].

Devaru is actually undergoing an ironically similar treatment, as was during apartheid. The irony being, Devaru is a 'white' !! Today , the world is of the opinion that if a computer is black, then it is of a latest configuration!! My poor Devaru! [please! i m not talking races in a serious tone!]

There were times when devaru sobbed at the "praises" he received from his master's(read baba) friends like "Wow man.. your comp runs CS(counter strike) too", "Hmm.. not bad.. it supports matlab..!! ", " it is copying faster than I thought", etc..

I would always think," my brother had a 100MHz P1 machine and ran through his computer science with ease!! What else do I need, when Devaru is so damn advanced!??"

He would immediately retort to me, " what the hell baba? i am of 512MB RAM, I run all the applications you have asked me to, without any deadlocks.. the fellow who is insulting me has a computer which cannot even copy a text document in less than a minute, forget seconds!."

I always convince him, " I know your worth, my dear. You process at a much better rate than most people's systems here."

At times, I am reminded me of OWL's Philosophy. The owl would not want to open its eyes in the morning and hence declares that there is no sun at all.
Similarly, Nobody wants to listen it is a AMD-64 bit processor. Nobody cares to see devaru's brand-new SONY DVD writer. Nobody wants to see the speed at which it carries out its processing. But they are there to declare it a dumb thing!!
Ofcourse Prasad Mulay knew its worth, and hence bought the same processor(Devaru was at his happy best to know this, and processed even better for a few days!!).

OK!! I accept that 'computer-apartheid' has blind-folded your opinion about devaru. However I(and devaru ofcourse) surely want an answer to the following. Devaru's NEW mouth(read speakers), ALTEC LANSING, was not left either. "Not bad baba.. the music quality is good!!"
"Obviously dumbo.. it is altec-lansing !!"- Devaru shouted back.

Yes, the mistake was mine. I bought a speaker set without woofers for two reasons:
1) It may disturb others!! (what an anti-VNITian thought..)
2) Relocating the computer with woofers is an extra pain.
(a third reason being , i considered it a waste to pay an extra 800-1000 for that low-frquency emitter!)

You know what? The person who complained about the lack of woofer, owns a laptop which runs a 5 minute song for 10 minutes; like a table screeching when moved!! No idea whether his laptop is sad, or whether his speakers has a sore throat!!

On the other hand,Devaru till date has run all my 2000+ favourite songs with great zeal (almost 24x7).

Devaru has always been very loyal to me, and always says me before I put him to sleep in the night, "baba, I am so thankful to you... you take every extra care to save me from 'viral-infection', you give me the required amount of sleep.., you show me the world's best movies.., you feed me with fresh data(read food) everyday, you dress me up well (read as organised).., and on top of all, YOU BOUGHT ME A NEW COOLER( named Coolesh!!) TO SAVE ME FROM NAGPUR's SCORCHING HEAT!!! I love you indeed!!"

oh devaru how can I ever tell you that I am planning to sell your monitor after my 8th sem!! I however, promise to take the best care of you in future too!!

I thank you for all that you did, and also for allowing me to blog through you!!

Cheers Devaru!!!

1 comment:

  1. hehheh. That's a good account to describe almost every guy's system. I love my system too, though I haven't named it..! Its been very loyal to me, causing min problems [except that it doesn't run y!msgr] Hope Devaru is happy to see your entry about him

    ReplyDelete